EARLY MORNING FIRE

The malfunction of a small, personal cooling fan is believed to have caused the fire which broke out at Ascension St. Joseph Hospital in Tawas City, at about 6 a.m. on Sunday. While the damage was confined to this room, the adjacent office spaces were also reported to have water and smoke damage.

TAWAS CITY – Although the damage was contained to one office room during an early morning fire at Ascension St. Joseph Hospital, water and smoke damage occurred throughout the immediate adjacent offices, as well.

The facility is located on Hemlock Road in Tawas City.

According to Tawas City Fire Department (TCFD) Chief Steve Masich, the incident took place on Sunday, at approximately 6 a.m.

He states that both the TCFD and East Tawas Fire Department were dispatched to a possible structure fire on the second floor of the surgical wing lab and offices at the hospital.

“The fire alarm automatically notified Iosco County 911, along with a call from a Michigan State Police Trooper who arrived on scene and was informed by on duty staff that there was smoke showing,” Masich describes.

“The fire suppression system had activated in the office that was involved in the fire and had extinguished most of the fire, as the fire departments arrived,” he pointed out.

Masich says that firefighters gathered the equipment needed to put out the remainder of the fire, and also set up multiple exhaust fans in order to clear the air of the very thick smoke which was present throughout the second floor.

At press time, he advised that the preliminary cause may have been from a malfunctioning small, personal cooling fan located under the office desk.

Assisting the TCFD were those from the East Tawas Fire Department, Michigan State Police, Iosco County EMS and Iosco County Central Dispatch.

Trending Food Videos