Angline Marie Martin

OSCODA – An Oscoda woman faces multiple felony charges related to a June 3 meth lab fire in Oscoda, which ultimately resulted in the death of one of the alleged participants.

Angline Marie Martin, 33, is out of jail on a $5,000 bond, but faces three felonies – operating/maintaining a laboratory involving methamphetamine and conspiracy to commit controlled substance-delivery/manufacture of methamphetamine. She also faces a felony charge of purchasing ephedrine/pseudoephedrine to make meth. If convicted she could face up to 20 years in prison.

Danny Lalonde, a 34-year-old Oscoda man involved in the alleged meth lab, received severe burns from an alleged explosion of the lab in a trailer home located on Van Etten Dam Road. He was hospitalized, but eventually succumbed to his injuries, according to Iosco County Prosecutor James Bacarella, who said charges against Lalonde were dropped as a result of his death.

Martin sustained minor burns to her feet in the incident, according to a report.

The incident occurred when police responded to the home after reports of a structure fire at the residence on June 3. According to court documents, an Oscoda Township Police Department officer was first to arrive at the scene and allegedly witnessed Lalonde exit the trailer bleeding with his upper half of his body covered in severe burns.

The officer said that Lalonde allegedly told him that he had been making meth in his bedroom, when the experiment exploded. 

Firefighters responded to the home and used 2,500 gallons of water the extinguish the blaze. After the incident, Martin was interviewed by police and said that Lalonde was allegedly cooking meth in a pop bottle in her bedroom closet, and she did have alleged knowledge of his activities.

She told police that he allegedly had done this several times, and said she had even been allegedly goaded by Lalonde to take the drug, so it may be in her system if she were to be drug tested.

The following day, Michigan State Police personnel, and experts in clandestine drug labs, visited the site and removed several items that were allegedly used in the production of meth. Troopers told officers that they believed it was highly unlikely that Martin did not know that there was a meth cook taking place in the home.

A nearby neighbor was interviewed by police and told officers that the same meth cooking scenario had happened several times, but this was the first time there was an explosion that resulted in severe injuries. 

Further investigation showed that both Lalonde and Martin had allegedly purchased over the counter cold medication containing pseudoephedrine multiple times in the days leading up to the explosion.