NO INJURIES

A fire that broke out at Augie’s On The Bay – a restaurant located on West Lake Street (US-23) in Tawas City – is believed to have been caused by a cigarette that was discarded in an outside bucket near the building. No one was injured as a result of the event, which occurred at about noon on Nov. 8.

TAWAS CITY – The Tawas City Fire Department (TCFD), along with the East Tawas Fire Department (ETFD), were dispatched at about noon on Sunday, Nov. 8, for a structure fire at Augie’s On The Bay.

The restaurant, located at 175 W. Lake St. (US-23) in Tawas City, is owned and operated by  Zachery and Mandy Sigulinsky.

According to TCFD Chief Steve Masich, witnesses saw flames coming from the exterior of the building, at the rear side of the restaurant, and notified the personnel inside who then called 9-1-1.

The customers were evacuated from the restaurant and, as the flames reached the roof line of the building, an on-site extinguisher was used to quickly stamp out the majority of the flames, Masich describes.

“The arriving fire personnel extinguished the remaining hot embers and investigated the scene to make sure that there were no fire extensions in the wall,” he continued, adding that fire crews were on scene for approximately one hour.

The blaze was confined to the outside wall of the structure, for which the owners have insurance.

“Thankfully, no one was injured or hurt,” they stated in a post on the business’s Facebook page.

This was confirmed by Masich, who noted that the preliminary cause of the fire is the possibility of hot cigarette ashes that were discarded in an outside bucket, which was located near the exterior wall.

Assisting the TCFD were those from the ETFD, Iosco County EMS, Michigan State Police, Tawas Police Authority and Iosco County 9-1-1 Central Dispatch.

The business owners extended their thanks to the restaurant employees for acting quickly to help put out the flames and evacuate the patrons, and they also expressed their gratitude to the local fire departments for their incredible response time.

Trending Food Videos