OSCODA – Among the latest incidents they have responded to, the Oscoda Township Fire Department (OTFD) was dispatched recently to a structure fire at 5549 Cedar Lake Rd., near Woodland Road.
Upon their arrival at the single-story dwelling, shortly before midnight, personnel assured that all occupants were accounted for.
Utilizing approximately 5,000 gallons of water/foam to extinguish the flames, the OTFD was at the site for about two hours before being released once the scene was deemed safe.
According to the department, the cause of the blaze is estimated to be an electrical malfunction, and is the result of a camper/motor home being plugged into the residence.
The camper – owned by a Tawas City resident – was in close proximity to the home, but experienced minimal-to-no-damage.
The dwelling, however, had an estimated property loss of $35,000 and a contents loss amounting to $25,000.
The OTFD reports that there were no human factors contributing to the ignition.
A few days after this, on the afternoon of April 2, the OTFD was called out to the area of Oak Street and Hillcrest Drive for an outside fire in a moderately populated neighborhood.
Firefighters extinguished the flames with about 1,000 gallons of water/foam, and cleared the scene after roughly 35 minutes.
According to the OTFD, less than ½-acre of yard was lightly scorched, with the cause of the ignition said to be unintentional.
The fire was the result of a neighboring property owner using a burn barrel, during which some embers escaped and were also impacted by a slight wind.
There were no injuries in either of the above incidents.