TAWAS CITY – Tawas Community Concert Band (TCCB) President Mona Friske and Conductor Brian Carter said they are disappointed to have to announce that the TCCB Spring Concert, scheduled for Monday, April 20, has been cancelled.
They said the spring concert is the annual event in which student scholarships for summer music camps are announced adding that proceeds from audience donations as well as individual donation fund these scholarships to the talented young musicians from the area.
The total amount for the scholarships is $3,140.
This year’s scholarships will be mailed to the students. The recipients are:
• Axel Raybourn, Oscoda Area Schools: Major Lois Tilly Award, full tuition to Blue Lake Music Camp.
• Colleen Kubisiak, Tawas Area Schools: Advanced Scholarship, CMU Summer Music Institute.
• Juliette Johnson, Tawas Area Schools: Advanced Scholarship, CMU Summer Music Institute.
• Gabrielle Whetstone, Tawas Area Schools: TCCB Herter Music Camp.
• Avery Lopez, Oscoda Area Schools: TCCB Herter Music Camp.
Mary Czarnik, AuGres-Sims School District: TCCB Herter Music Camp.
Friske and Carter said they and band members appreciates all of the area high school band directors for their assistance and recommendations in the scholarship process as well as the community for its support of the band through attendance and donations.
The Summer in the Park Concert Series is tentatively scheduled to begin in mid-June, depending on the governor’s travel and social gathering declarations. They said the decision about the Concerts in the Park will be made as soon as possible.