OSCODA – Oscoda students will begin their 2019-20 school year before Labor Day, as voted on by the Oscoda Area Schools Board of Education (OAS) during a Monday meeting.
Two board members, Treasurer Tim Kellstrom and Vice President Donald Ellis III, voted against the measure, which was approved with a 5-2 vote.
The approval will designate August 26, 2019 as the first day of school as opposed the Tuesday after Labor Day; however August 30 students will have no school providing them a labor day weekend with four days off.
According to the calendar, the first break students will receive will be in November for Thanksgiving beginning on Wednesday, Nov. 27 and returning to school on Monday, Dec. 2. Winter break will begin on Monday, Dec. 23 and students will return to school on Monday, Jan. 6.
Spring break is slated for the week of Sunday, March 23-27. To recognize Good Friday and Easter there will be no school on Friday, April 10 and Monday, April 13. There will also be no school on Monday, May 24. The last day of school is slated to be Friday, June 5, as long as the weather cooperates. The calendar includes 180 student days and 185 teacher days. No discussion was provided by board members at the meeting.
A motfion to approve the calendar and hours of instruction was made by Trustee Bill Gaines and was seconded by Trustee Rose Fulton. The motion received a 5-2 vote with the opposition of Vice President Don Ellis III and Treasurer Tim Kellstrom.
Other business included
• Presentation from AuSable Township Superintendent Leisa Sutton on change in sewer rates. An article detailing the rates can be found in a future edition of this publication.
• Teaching Highlights from the school year on grades K-12 were provided by OEA President Kathy Erickson.
• Approval of general fund, food service and sinking fund budget amendments for the 2019-20 fiscal year.
• Adoption of the preliminary general fund, food service and sinking fund budget for the 2019-20 fiscal year.
• Approval of 2019-20 contracts for mechanic, technology department, local 1545 wages and OAA.
• Discussion on resignations from Director of Human Resources Janice LaVigne, Full Time Custodian James League and Elementary Teacher Shannon Livingston.