PLAINFIELD Twp. – Cynthia “Cindy” McLain, 64, Plainfield Township, survived an explosion and fire at her home – during which her husband and their cherished dog did not survive.

As reported in last week’s edition, both Cindy and her spouse – Daniel McLain, 70 – sustained injuries during the incident, and were taken to the hospital by Iosco County EMS. Shortly after this publication had already gone to print, the Michigan State Police (MSP) advised that Daniel succumbed to his injuries and passed away on Monday, May 4.

The family has since established a GoFundMe page to help Cindy during this time, noting that the home she shared with her beloved husband, as well as all of the contents, were destroyed.

Loved ones point out that the McLain family has been coming to the Long Lake/Hale area for the past 50 years.

“Cindy and Dan’s home where they were living out their retirement is left in ashes. Cindy’s family has created this campaign to ask for help,” the page reads. “In addition to losing Dan and Millie, Cindy lost all of her possessions, resulting in tremendous financial devastation. We hope that our efforts will aid Cindy in alleviating some of her financial stress so she can focus on healing from this trauma.”

To learn more, visit https://www.gofundme.com/f/fundraiser-to-help-cindy. Donations may also be made directly to: C.L. McLain, P.O. Box 154, Hale, MI 48739.

As recently reported, an explosion occurred in the garage of the McLain home – located in the 8800 block of Esmond Road – at 8:19 a.m. on Sunday, May 3.

According to Plainfield Township Fire Department (PTFD) Chief Steve Bradley, the garage was attached to the single-story dwelling and, after the explosion, a fire ensued which then also damaged the home.

In addition to the PTFD, troopers from the MSP West Branch Post were also dispatched to what was called in as a residential structure fire with injuries.

As noted in a press release from the MSP, upon arrival, troopers observed that the home was fully engulfed in flames. There was an injured male adjacent to the roadway and an injured female seated nearby, being tended to by passersby.

The MSP states that several citizens had stopped to render aid prior to the arrival of EMS, fire and law enforcement, and assisted the occupants of the home in their attempts to escape. Once the occupants were out of the home, the passersby – including a registered nurse with an area hospital – rendered medical assistance until the arrival of MSP and EMS.

Cindy was reported to have suffered minor injuries, while Daniel experienced severe burns to a large percentage of his body.  Both were transported to an area hospital, with Daniel then being flown to a downstate hospital for further treatment, where he later died from his injuries.

Investigation into the fire is continuing with the assistance of the MSP Fire Investigation Unit. Authorities advise that, at this time, it appears a leak from a homemade propane supply line was ignited while Daniel was working in the garage, causing the explosion and subsequent fire.

Along with the MSP, PTFD and Iosco County EMS, assistance was provided at the scene by the MSP Fire Investigation Unit, the American Red Cross, numerous passersby and personnel from the Burleigh-Reno-Whittemore, South Branch Township and Lupton fire departments.

MSP representatives expressed that the citizens’ willingness to assist the occupants of the home is greatly appreciated by their department and the other responding public safety agencies.