OSCODA – The Oscoda Township Fire Department (OTFD) has responded to a number of miscellaneous incidents in recent weeks, including a July 27 smoke scare at Rite Aid, located on US-23.

Crews were initially dispatched at about 8 a.m. for a possible structure fire, as the building roof vents were producing smoke upon the arrival of store employees.

According to the OTFD, firefighters assisted the staff with smoke evacuation, and determined that the cause of the incident was due to a compressor malfunction on the roof level.

There was very little damage to the interior of the building, no injuries and the OTFD was released after about 22 minutes, upon determining that the scene was safe.

A day before this, firefighters were called out to a multi-family dwelling in the 200 block of West Dwight Street, shortly after midnight, for a structure fire at a former business which has been converted into apartments.

The OTFD says that all eight occupants exited the structure, but that one was injured.

Ed Burkhart, 26, was reported to have sustained moderate injuries, and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

The other individuals who were in the building at the time were checked out by Iosco County EMS.

Assistance was also provided by personnel from the East Tawas Fire Department. The Oscoda Township Department of Public Works was later brought in to shut off the residential water, as well.

According to the OTFD, firefighters utilized approximately 2,500 gallons of water/foam to extinguish the flames in the two-story structure, and spent about one hour and 40 minutes on scene.

The cause of ignition was undetermined, but fire department representatives note that there were no human factors which contributed to the event.

The estimated dollar losses were $65,000 in property and $24,000 in contents.

One week prior to this, the OTFD was dispatched to the Kalitta Air maintenance building on Skyway Street, shortly after 9 a.m., for a structure fire.

The flames were contained to an electrical panel and on-site personnel used an extinguisher, so the fire was out upon the arrival of the OTFD.

Crews were released after about 40 minutes, once the scene was determined to be safe.

The reported damage amounted to roughly $1,200, and there were no injuries.

Trending Food Videos