NO INJURIES

A fire broke out Saturday afternoon at the Admiral gas station in Tawas City, and the faulty exhaust fan of a beverage cooler may be to blame for the incident. Several different agencies responded to the fire, during which no one was injured.

TAWAS CITY – Members of the Tawas City and East Tawas fire departments were called to a structure fire this past Saturday at Admiral gas station, located at 512 E. Lake St. (US-23) in Tawas City.

The incident occurred at approximately 4 p.m., according to Tawas City Fire Department (TCFD) Chief Steve Masich.

“The employee of the gas station smelled something burning about the same time a customer came in and told the employee that the outside of the building was on fire and called 911,” he stated.

Masich advised that a Tawas Police Authority (TPA) patrol officer was the first to arrive on scene and, with the officer’s quick action, he put out most of the flames by using his fire extinguisher.

Upon the arrival of fire department personnel, Masich said they extinguished the remaining flames and checked for any fire extensions.

Most of the damage was limited to a portion of the exterior wall, with some minor smoke damage occurring on the inside of the building, he described.

According to Masich, the breaker panel had tripped off, which eliminated any danger to other portions of the gas station equipment.

Preliminary indications show that the cause of the fire could have been a possible faulty exhaust fan which was attached to a beverage cooler.

Masich stated that it took approximately 100 gallons of water to extinguish the 10- by 30-foot structure, and no injuries occurred.

Assisting the TCFD were those from the East Tawas Fire Department, Iosco County EMS, Michigan State Police, TPA and Iosco County 9-1-1 Central Dispatch.